Friday, May 13, 2011

Praise to the Man

This month's theme is "The Church of Jesus Christ has been restored."  I find it interesting that there are no "helps" for teaching the hymn "Praise to the Man."  I have been teaching our primary this hymn in sign language for the past 7 months.  Each year I decide which hymn/song will be the hardest to teach or learn and I then learn and teach the sign language for it.  The Church music web site has all the Hymns and Primary songs recorded in sign language.  The children learn it much faster than I do.  I like the fact that when the words are big and/or difficult, the sign language helps them remember them.  Sign language also keeps the children focused.  Once they know the signing, we often "sing" the hymn in just sign language.  The piano plays and the room is silent as the children focus on the words and signs.  It is quite a reverent experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment