Friday, February 28, 2014

"I Stand All Amazed"

I love this hymn!  From the time I could read the hymn book, this has been a favorite.  I love how the chorus is a celebration of Christ's gift to us.  I taught this hymn to my primary last fall using sign language.  It has some beautiful signs.  The signing is on the church website.  Signing is not for everyone and I am the first to admit that it isn't easy.  Consider it only if you are up for the challenge.  The children will pick it up quickly with repetition.

In the 2014 Outline for Sharing Time on p. 26, there is a great activity to help teach this hymn.  Below is the excerpt: (GAB is Gospel Art Book)

March: “I Stand All Amazed” (Hymns, no. 193)

Divide the children into four groups. Give group 1 GAB 116, and sing the first phrase of the song to them. Discuss it briefly, and then have them sing it a few times with you. Continue with each group and each additional phrase (use the following pictures: group 2, GAB 108; group 3, GAB 57; group 4, GAB 56). Sing the whole first verse with each group standing, holding their picture, and singing their phrase. Invite the groups to switch pictures, and sing the song again. Repeat until each group has sung each phrase. Sing the chorus, and ask the children to listen for how many times you sing the word “wonderful.” Repeat the chorus a few times with them, and invite them to place their hands over their hearts each time they sing the word “wonderful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment