Saturday, February 25, 2012

Singing with Children with Disabilities

The February Ensign 2012 has a great article on working with children who have disabilities and other challenges.  Our primary has had opportunities to serve these precious children.  Using pictures and having them help hold them has encouraged their participation.  Also, having them help put up various things on the board depending on the activity has helped them feel apart of primary.

One thing that I have found is that too much noise -- whether it be singing, laughing or talking, can be a source of anxiousness in children with learning challenges.  Always encourage children to sing reverently.  Shouting is NOT singing, nor is screaming.

 I cut 8 inch circles from brightly colored card stock.  I printed the dynamic symbols below on 5 circles. (I did a quick search for these symbols on the internet.)  Then, tape a tongue depressor stick or paint stick on the back of each circle to use as a handle.  I explained each symbol's meaning.  The children enjoy watching carefully so they can sing the proper dynamic level.  The children will enjoy taking a turn holding them up, also.





1 comment:

  1. I remember these signs. I love the use of the actual dynamic symbols.

    ReplyDelete