Friday, January 7, 2011

"If I Listen With My Heart" variety in singing

In an earlier post I gave some suggestions on teaching "If I Listen With My Heart."  Here is an extended activity in learning this song.  I printed each verse out and pasted each verse on a separate piece of construction paper and the chorus is on a separate piece.  I put each verse up on the black board, including the chorus.  We sang through the song.  Then I asked the children how we could make it more dramatic or more listenable instead of just singing it through.  We eliminated going fast and slow -- but we could slow down (ritardando) at the end.  They came up with dynamics - loud and soft.  So we talked a little about where it would be good to sing soft and loud, where we could gradually get louder or softer and marked it next to the words.  As we sang it through with the dynamics, the children were excited to hear how wonderful it sounded. 

I made several cards with "f" for forte (loud), "p" for piano (soft), "ff," "pp," "mp," - mezzo piano (moderately soft), "mf," "crescendo" - gradually get louder, "diminuendo" - gradually get softer and "ritardando" gradually slow down.  I laminated them all because I use them a lot.  This also helps the children learn the correct musical terms.  We have fun using these especially when the children hold them up as we are singing a song.  We all have to be watching so we know how to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment