Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter Wonderland

Regardless of your location, snowflakes and snowmen can make a fun singing time in January and February.  I am using this activity as a way to reinforce what we have learned.  Make several snowflakes.  On the back tape word strips from the song you want to review.  I chose "If I Listen with My Heart."  Because I have all the words on the computer, it is easy to print and cut the song into word phrases.  I am putting "chorus" on one snowflake so we can sing it once. I am using two phrases from each verse, so I will have one phrase per snowflake -- that equals 6, plus one snowflake for the chorus.  I will also put this statement on 3 or 4 more snowflakes: "Tell one thing you love about Primary."  This adds some variety to singing time.  Choose children to pick a snowflake that you have taped up around the room.  Sing the verse that the phrase comes from.  Pick another snowflake.  Continue singing the verse that the phrase comes from or tell what is wonderful about primary.  If time permits, sing the entire song to close singing time.

When I explain the activity, I give an example of how we will sing the verses and what I think is wonderful about Primary, just so the children understand.

Snowflakes:
  1. Cut several circles - varying sizes  (keep them at least 6 inches in diameter or larger)
  2. Fold in half, then in thirds -- snowflakes are 6 pointed
  3. Cut small triangle, diamond, circle or any other shapes out on the folded sides and outer edge.  Be sure to cut the tip in a arc or triangle so the middle has an interesting shape.
  4. Open up the paper and there you have a beautiful -- or at least a creative snowflake.
No matter how they turn out, the children will love them.  You can also make square and rectangle shaped snowflakes, too.  (If you have grade school children, they might like to do this project for you.)  If you choose to laminate them, they will last for years.

1 comment:

  1. All of your ideas are son WONDERFUL and helpful to me. Thank you so much for sharing. Your suggestions are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete